Alamy is a well-known stock photography agency based in the United Kingdom. It was founded in 1999 by James West, and it has grown to become one of the largest and most diverse stock image libraries in the world. Alamy specializes in licensing high-quality images, illustrations, and videos to individuals and businesses for various purposes, including advertising, marketing, publishing, and design.We sell images. We add over 100,000 new images every day, sourced from photographers and photo agencies in 173 countries. We pay our photographers a higher percentage of the sale than our competitors and it’s easy to get your images online.We have a bigger, broader, more unique collection than any other library and every day we supply thousands of creative professionals including designers, marketing departments, news desks, and In a world where millions of images are taken every day, there are still stories that have yet to be told. Our mission is to leave no image unseen.
That’s why we don’t believe in editing our photographers. They dictate the market by uploading whatever they want so that we can empower our customers and let them decide what deserves airtime and what doesn’t.
Pros & Cons
- Vast Collection: Alamy boasts a vast collection of over 200 million images, illustrations, and videos. This extensive library provides a wide range of options for users to find the perfect visual content for their projects.
- Diverse Content: Alamy offers a diverse range of content, including editorial, creative, and archival imagery. It covers various themes, genres, and subjects, ensuring that users can find images suitable for their specific needs.
- Contributor-Friendly: Alamy has a reputation for being contributor-friendly. It offers a fair commission structure, allowing photographers and artists to earn a reasonable income from their work. Additionally, Alamy doesn’t require exclusivity, meaning contributors can sell their work on other platforms as well.
- Easy Licensing: Alamy provides straightforward licensing options for users, making it easy to understand and obtain the necessary permissions for image usage. They offer different licensing models to cater to different usage requirements and budgets.
- Pricing: Alamy’s pricing structure may be considered relatively high compared to some other stock photography platforms. The cost of licensing images can vary depending on factors such as usage type, resolution, and file size.
- Image Curation: While Alamy’s vast collection is a strength, it can also be a drawback in terms of image curation. Due to the large volume of content, some users may find it challenging to navigate and filter through the extensive library to find precisely what they need.
- Quality Control: Although Alamy has quality control measures in place, the sheer size of their collection can make it difficult to ensure consistent image quality across the platform. Users may encounter variations in image resolution, composition, or overall quality.
- Limited Customer Support: Some users have reported limited customer support options with Alamy. While they provide online resources and a FAQ section, access to direct assistance may be limited compared to other platforms.
Alamy Product Features
- Extensive Image Library: Alamy boasts a vast collection of over 200 million high-quality images, illustrations, and videos. The library covers a wide range of themes, subjects, and styles to cater to various creative needs.
- Licensing Options: Alamy provides flexible licensing options to accommodate different usage requirements. They offer both Royalty-Free and Rights-Managed licensing models, allowing users to choose the most suitable license for their specific projects.
- Advanced Search and Filtering: Alamy offers robust search and filtering tools to help users find the desired images efficiently. Users can refine their search results based on criteria like keywords, orientation, color, format, and more.
- Editorial and Creative Content: Alamy offers a comprehensive collection of both editorial and creative content. Editorial images are suitable for news, documentary, and non-commercial uses, while creative content caters to commercial and artistic projects.
- Contributor Platform: Alamy provides a platform for photographers and artists to contribute their work and earn royalties. Contributors can upload their images, manage their portfolios, and track sales and earnings through the contributor dashboard.
- Fair Royalty Structure: Alamy offers a fair commission structure for contributors, allowing them to earn a competitive royalty rate for each licensed image. The exact commission rates may vary based on factors like exclusivity and contributor level.
- Global Reach: Alamy has a global presence, serving customers and contributors from around the world. This ensures a diverse range of content and widens the market reach for contributors’ work.
- API and Integration: Alamy offers an API (Application Programming Interface) that allows developers to integrate Alamy’s image library into third-party applications and platforms. This enables seamless access to Alamy’s content for various creative and business solutions.
- Alamy for Education: Alamy provides specialized services for educational institutions, including discounted pricing and tailored licensing options for educational use. This makes it easier for students, educators, and researchers to access and utilize visual content.
- Customer Support: Alamy offers customer support through an online help center, FAQ section, and contact forms. While the availability and responsiveness of direct customer support may vary, Alamy strives to assist users with their queries and concerns.
These are some of the notable features and services offered by Alamy. It’s important to visit Alamy’s official website or contact their support for the most up-to-date and detailed information about their products and features.
Premium Stock Video
- Shutterstock: Shutterstock is a leading stock media provider that offers a vast collection of premium stock videos. They have a diverse range of footage, including 4K and HD videos, and provide various licensing options to suit different project needs.
- Adobe Stock: Adobe Stock is another well-known platform that offers a wide selection of premium stock videos. They provide access to high-quality footage in various categories, and their videos are seamlessly integrated with Adobe Creative Cloud applications for convenient editing and design.
- Getty Images: Getty Images is a renowned stock media agency that offers premium stock video content. They have a vast collection of professionally shot videos, including exclusive footage from renowned filmmakers and contributors.
- Pond5: Pond5 is a marketplace for royalty-free stock media, including premium stock videos. They offer a diverse selection of videos in different resolutions and styles, and their footage is contributed by a global community of filmmakers and videographers.
- Artlist: Artlist specializes in providing high-quality stock music and video footage for creative projects. They offer an extensive library of premium stock videos with a user-friendly license that covers a wide range of commercial and creative uses.
These platforms typically offer a range of pricing options, including subscription plans, on-demand purchases, or credit-based systems. It’s advisable to visit their websites to explore their collections, licensing terms, and pricing details to find the best fit for your specific requirements.
How To Join Alamy?
To join Alamy as a contributor and start uploading your images for licensing, follow these steps:
- Visit the Alamy website: Go to the Alamy homepage at www.alamy.com.
- Click on “Sell Images” or “Contributor Account”: Look for a link or button on the website that says “Sell Images” or “Contributor Account.” Click on it to proceed.
- Create an account: If you don’t have an existing Alamy account, you’ll need to create one. Click on the “Sign up” or “Join now” button and fill in the required information, including your name, email address, and desired password. Accept the terms and conditions, and then click on “Join Alamy” or a similar button to proceed.
- Verify your email: After signing up, you’ll receive an email from Alamy with a verification link. Click on the link to verify your email address and activate your account.
- Complete your profile: Once your account is verified, you’ll be directed to your contributor dashboard. Take some time to complete your profile by providing necessary details such as your bio, location, and preferred payment method. You may also need to provide some identification or tax-related information, depending on your location.
- Submit sample images: Alamy may require you to submit a few sample images for review before you can start uploading your entire portfolio. Follow their guidelines for image submission, ensuring that the samples meet their technical and quality standards.
- Start uploading images: Once your sample images are approved, you can begin uploading your full portfolio of images. Use Alamy’s uploading tools and guidelines to prepare and submit your images, including proper metadata, keywords, and releases if necessary.
- Wait for review and keywording: After uploading your images, they will go through a review process by Alamy’s team. They will check for technical quality, adherence to their guidelines, and keyword relevancy. This review process ensures that only appropriate and high-quality images are made available for licensing.
Manage your portfolio and track sales: Once your images are accepted, you can manage your portfolio, track sales, and monitor your earnings through your contributor dashboard. Alamy provides tools and analytics to help you optimize your portfolio and improve your sales performance.
Found Your Perfect Image?
- Note the image details: Take note of the image’s unique identifier, which is usually listed alongside the image on Alamy’s website. This identifier helps in identifying and referencing the specific image you want to license.
- Choose the appropriate license: Determine the license type that suits your usage requirements. Alamy offers various licensing options, such as Royalty-Free and Rights-Managed licenses, each with its own terms and restrictions. Consider factors like the intended use, duration, exclusivity, and budget to select the most suitable license.
- Add to cart or license: On the image’s page, there should be a button or link to either add the image to your shopping cart or directly license it. Click on the appropriate option to proceed.
- Specify usage details: Depending on the licensing model, you may be prompted to specify certain details about your usage, such as the intended purpose, media type, distribution, territory, and duration. Provide accurate information to ensure proper licensing and usage rights.
- Complete the purchase: Proceed to the checkout process and follow the instructions to complete the purchase. Alamy usually accepts various payment methods, including credit cards and online payment platforms. Provide the required information and confirm your payment.
- Download the image: Once the purchase is successfully completed, you should receive a confirmation and a link to download the image. Click on the download link to obtain the high-resolution version of the image for use in your project.
- Keep the license information: It’s essential to keep a record of the license details and any associated restrictions. This includes information such as the image’s unique identifier, license type, usage terms, and any specific requirements or limitations outlined by Alamy.
How to Search for Alamy Stock Photos Video
To search for stock photos or videos on Alamy, follow these steps:
- Visit the Alamy website: Go to www.alamy.com in your web browser.
- Enter your search keywords: In the search bar located at the top of the page, enter the keywords related to the type of image or video you’re looking for. Be specific and descriptive to narrow down the results.
- Refine your search (optional): Alamy provides additional search filters to help you refine your results. You can use these filters to specify criteria such as orientation, color, image type, video duration, resolution, and more. Use the filters as per your requirements to fine-tune your search.
- Select the media type: Alamy offers both photos and videos, so make sure you have the correct media type selected. There are usually tabs or buttons at the top of the search results page to switch between photos and videos.
- Browse the search results: After entering your keywords and applying any desired filters, you’ll be presented with a page displaying the search results. Scroll through the thumbnails to get an overview of the available images or videos.
- View image or video details: Click on a thumbnail to view the details of a specific image or video. This will open a dedicated page with a larger preview, additional information about the media, and licensing options.
- License the media: If you find an image or video that meets your requirements, you can proceed to license it. On the media’s page, there should be options to add it to your cart or license it directly. Click on the appropriate button and follow the steps to select the desired license type and complete the licensing process.
- Download the media: After licensing the media, you will receive a confirmation and a link to download the high-resolution version of the image or video. Click on the download link provided to obtain the file for use in your project.
- Visit the Alamy website: Go to www.alamy.com in your web browser.
- Scroll to the bottom: Navigate to the bottom of the website’s homepage or look for a “Careers” or “Jobs” link in the website’s header or footer.
- Click on “Careers” or “Jobs”: Click on the appropriate link to access Alamy‘s career page.
- Explore available positions: On the career page, you’ll find information about current job openings, positions, and opportunities within Alamy. Read through the job descriptions and requirements to identify positions that match your skills and interests.
- Select a job: Click on a specific job listing to view more details about the position, including the responsibilities, qualifications, and application process.
- Review job requirements: Read the job requirements and assess whether your qualifications, experience, and skills align with the position. Take note of any application instructions or deadlines.
- Apply for the job: If you believe you meet the requirements and are interested in the position, follow the application instructions provided on the job listing. This may involve submitting your resume, cover letter, and any other requested documents through an online application form or via email.
- Monitor your application: After submitting your application, monitor your email or the application portal for any updates or communication from the Alamy recruitment team. They may contact you for further steps in the hiring process, such as interviews or assessments.
Buying from Alamy
To purchase images or other media from Alamy, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the Alamy website: Go to www.alamy.com in your web browser.
- Search for the desired media: Use the search bar at the top of the page to enter keywords related to the image or media you are looking for. Click the “Search” button to see the search results.
- Refine your search (optional): Alamy provides filters to help you narrow down the search results. Use these filters to specify criteria such as orientation, color, image type, license type, and more. Refining your search can help you find the most relevant media for your needs.
- Select the media: Browse through the search results and click on the thumbnail or title of the media you are interested in. This will take you to the media’s page where you can view additional details.
- Choose the license type: On the media’s page, select the appropriate license type based on your intended use. Alamy offers various licensing options, such as Royalty-Free and Rights-Managed licenses. Make sure to read and understand the licensing terms and restrictions associated with each license type.
- Add to cart or license directly: On the media’s page, you will find options to either add the media to your shopping cart or license it directly. Click on the appropriate button to proceed.
- Specify usage details (if required): Depending on the license type and media, you may need to provide specific usage details such as the intended purpose, media type, distribution, territory, and duration. Follow the prompts and fill in the necessary information accurately.
- Complete the purchase: Proceed to the checkout process to complete your purchase. Provide the required billing and payment information. Alamy usually accepts credit cards and online payment platforms.
- Download the media: Once your purchase is successfully completed, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to download the high-resolution version of the media. Click on the download link to obtain the file.
Ensure that you review and comply with the licensing terms, usage restrictions, and any other requirements specified by Alamy for the purchased media.
How Does Alamy Work?
Alamy works as a stock photography agency that connects photographers, artists, and content creators who contribute their images and media with individuals and businesses looking to license and use those visuals for various purposes. Here’s a general overview of how Alamy works:
- Contributors: Photographers and content creators can sign up to become contributors on Alamy. They upload their high-quality images, illustrations, or videos to the platform, along with appropriate metadata and keywords to describe the content accurately.
- Image Review: Alamy has a team of reviewers who evaluate the uploaded images for technical quality, adherence to guidelines, and keyword relevance. This review process ensures that only suitable and high-quality content is made available for licensing.
- Licensing Options: Alamy offers a range of licensing options to accommodate different usage requirements. These may include Royalty-Free licenses, Rights-Managed licenses, and more. Each license type has specific terms, restrictions, and pricing associated with it.
- Search and Discovery: Users looking for images or media can explore Alamy’s extensive collection through a search function on the website. They can enter relevant keywords and use filters to refine their search results based on criteria such as orientation, color, license type, and more.
- Licensing and Payment: Once users find the desired media, they can select the appropriate license type and proceed with the licensing process. They may need to provide details about the intended usage, such as purpose, distribution, territory, and duration. Users complete the purchase by providing billing information and making payment through accepted methods.
- Download and Usage: After the licensing process is successfully completed, users receive a confirmation and a link to download the purchased media. They can then use the downloaded images or media in their projects, following the specific licensing terms and any usage restrictions mentioned.
- Contributor Royalties: Alamy compensates contributors for the use of their content through a commission structure. Contributors earn a percentage of the licensing fees generated by their images. The commission rates may vary based on factors such as exclusivity and contributor level.
- Contributor Dashboard: Contributors have access to a dashboard where they can manage their portfolios, track sales, monitor earnings, and access relevant analytics. The dashboard provides insights to help contributors optimize their portfolio and improve their sales performance.
Promotions & Discounts
Alamy occasionally offers promotions and discounts to customers, providing opportunities to license images and media at discounted prices. While specific promotions and discounts can vary over time, here are some common types of promotions and ways to stay informed about them:
- Email Subscriptions: Sign up for Alamy’s newsletter or email subscriptions to receive updates about promotions, discounts, and special offers directly in your inbox. Look for a newsletter signup option on the Alamy website and provide your email address to subscribe.
- Social Media: Follow Alamy’s official social media accounts, such as Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. They often share promotions, discounts, and exclusive offers through their social media channels.
- Seasonal or Holiday Sales: Alamy may run promotions and discounts during specific seasons or holidays, such as Black Friday, Cyber Monday, or special occasions. Keep an eye out for such sales and discounts during these periods.
- Partner Programs: Alamy may collaborate with partners, affiliates, or third-party platforms to offer exclusive promotions and discounts. Look out for any partnership promotions or offers through relevant channels or partner websites.
- Website Promotions: Visit the Alamy website regularly and check their homepage, banner ads, or dedicated promotions page for any ongoing offers or discounts. They may display limited-time promotions or deals directly on their website.
- Affiliate Discounts: Some affiliates or coupon websites may offer exclusive discounts or coupon codes for Alamy. Check reputable coupon websites or search for Alamy discounts through search engines to find any available offers.
How do I sign up as a contributor on Alamy?
To become a contributor on Alamy, visit their website and look for the “Sell Images” or “Contributor Account” link. Create an account, complete your profile, and submit sample images for review. Once approved, you can start uploading your full portfolio.
What types of licenses does Alamy offer?
Alamy offers various licensing options, including Royalty-Free and Rights-Managed licenses. Each license type has its own terms and restrictions regarding usage, duration, exclusivity, and pricing.
How do I search for images on Alamy?
To search for images, use the search bar on Alamy’s website and enter relevant keywords. You can also apply filters to refine your search based on criteria like orientation, color, license type, and more.
How do I purchase images from Alamy?
Once you find the desired image, select the appropriate license type and proceed with the licensing process. Provide the necessary details, complete the purchase by providing billing information, and download the image for use in your project.
How much do images on Alamy cost?
The cost of images on Alamy can vary depending on factors such as license type, resolution, and usage requirements. Alamy offers different pricing options to suit various budgets and project needs.
Can I use Alamy images for commercial purposes?
Yes, Alamy offers images for commercial use. The license type and pricing may vary based on the intended commercial usage, so make sure to select the appropriate license that aligns with your specific requirements.
How do I contact Alamy’s customer support?
To contact Alamy’s customer support, visit their website and look for the “Contact Us” or “Support” section. They typically provide options for email or online contact forms to reach out to their support team.
Can I sell my images exclusively on Alamy?
Alamy does not require exclusivity, meaning you can sell your images on other platforms as well. However, they do offer optional exclusivity programs with potential benefits for exclusive contributors.
How do contributors earn money on Alamy?
Contributors earn money on Alamy through a commission structure. They receive a percentage of the licensing fees generated by their images. The exact commission rates may vary based on factors like exclusivity and contributor level.
Does Alamy offer refunds?
Alamy’s refund policy may vary, so it’s best to refer to their terms and conditions or contact their customer support for specific refund inquiries.