Best Schemes is supported by readers. Some links on Best Schemes are referral links. If you use one of these and buy something, Best Schemes may make a small amount of money
We take a close look at THE Pre-Workout by Myprotein to see where this pre-workout supplement stands.
THE Pre-Workout is Myprotein’s premium offering when it comes to a pre-workout supplement.
Myprotein are one of the biggest names in the health and fitness supplements industry. They are a UK-based company who manufacture a range of supplements including protein shakes, multivitamins and, of course, pre-workouts.
THE Pre-Workout is a premium-priced pre-workout supplement that’s been specifically formulated to help support your health and fitness goals.
In this review, we’re going to bring you all of the important things you need to know about this particular supplement, as you look to decide which pre-workout supplement is best for you.
So, with the introductions out of the way, it’s time to start taking a close look at THE Pre-Workout by Myprotein.
Table of Contents
THE Pre-Workout – The Basics
As we’ve already mentioned, THE Pre-Workout is Myprotein’s premium pre-workout supplement product.
It’s marketed as being able to deliver an “explosive boost” just when you need it, according to the official product page on the Myprotein website.
The promotional material on the official Myprotein site says that this supplement has been specifically using a special blend of Caffeine and Creatine to help you to take your workouts to the next level.
You probably already know that pre-workout supplements are products that usually contain ingredients such as stimulants and plant extracts, and they are designed to be taken before periods of exercise.
The marketing material goes on to say that THE Pre-Workout can deliver exactly what you need to help push you towards “peak performance” as you look to achieve your health and fitness goals.
Indeed, the product description says that the supplement has been specifically formulated to help you “break barriers”, set after set and rep after rep.
THE Pre-Workout is available in a number of different flavours:
- Blue Raspberry
- Fruit Punch
- Lemon Sherbet
- Orange Mango Passionfruit
- Pineapple Grapefruit
- Strawberry Kiwi
It’s great to see such a wide variety of flavours offered, as it means you’ll likely find one that suits you best. We went for the Blue Raspberry option for the purpose of this review.
THE Pre-Workout is part of Myprotein’s ‘Pro’ range of supplements, which also includes other products such as protein powders.
Now that we’ve covered all of the important basic facts about this supplement, it’s time to start taking a close look at the all-important ingredients formula.
Let’s begin this part by taking a look at the actual ingredients formula of THE Pre-Workout.
It’s important to note that this formulation was shown on the official Myprotein website at the time of writing. It’s important to check the label of any product you’re thinking of buying, because manufacturers may change their ingredients from time to time.
As you can no doubt see for yourself, THE Pre-Workout contains a total of 23 active ingredients, which is definitely a lot more than some of the other supplements on the market in this category.
It’s also worth noting that THE Pre-Workout does not use a proprietary blend, which means that we are told the precise doses of each and every active ingredient in the formula.
Let’s now take a closer look at some of the main ingredients in THE Pre-Workout formula.
- Vitamins B6 and B12 – These are two important B vitamins that we need to get from our diet. Both Vitamin B6 and B12 help with the reduction of tiredness and fatigue, as well as normal energy release.
- Pantothenic Acid – Also known as Vitamin B5, Pantothenic Acid contributes to normal energy release and normal mental performance.
- Caffeine – You probably already know that Caffeine is one of the most popular stimulants on the planet. It’s usually one of the main ingredients in pre-workout formulas. Each serving of THE Pre-Workout contains a total of 175mg of Caffeine from all sources. To put this dose into context, you’d expect to find around 100mg of Caffeine in a regular cup of coffee.
- L-Citrulline Malate – This is an amino acid that’s found in watermelons. It’s one of the most popular pre-workout supplement ingredients, and THE Pre-Workout contains 3g per serving.
- Creatine Monohydrate – You probably already know all about Creatine and its potential benefits post-workout. It’s also a very common pre-workout ingredient, and THE Pre-Workout uses 2g per serving.
- Beta Alanine – This is another commonly used pre-workout ingredient. Beta Alanine is what’s known as a ‘non-essential’ amino acid, and it’s one of the main inclusions in THE Pre-Workout at 1.6g per serving.
- L-Carnitine – Another very popular pre-workout ingredient, L-Carnitine is a derivative of the amino acid lysine, and each serving of THE Pre-Workout contains 500mg.
- Choline – This is an essential nutrient that’s found in foods such as meat, eggs and dairy products. Choline helps to support normal lipid (fat) metabolism.
- Guarana – This is a plant extract which is a source of Caffeine. It’s essentially another stimulant in THE Pre-Workout formula, and it is 22 per cent Caffeine, according to the label.
- Capsimax – This is a branded ingredient which is essentially a capsicum extract from red hot chilli peppers. It’s usually more commonly found in so-called ‘fat burner’ supplements, but that doesn’t make it a bad inclusion in a pre-workout.
Some of the other ingredients in THE Pre-Workout formula include L-Arginine, TeaCrine, Vitamin C and Betaine Anhydrous.
We tried out the Blue Raspberry flavour for the purpose of this review.
The powder is very, very fine, which definitely sets it apart from some of the grainier powders found in some of the other supplements we’ve tried recently.
We found that it dissolved pretty quickly into a glass of water and required minimal stirring – and it immediately turned the water a bright blue colour.
It tasted pretty good. It was very sweet and also pretty fruity, and the aftertaste was not too bad, even if it was a bit ‘synthetic’.
All in all, the taste was decent and definitely not the worst we’ve tried when it comes to a pre-workout.
Price and Where To Buy
THE Pre-Workout is a premium-priced supplement, and for that reason it may not fit into everyone’s budget.
One tub containing 30 servings currently costs around £25 from the official Myprotein website. It works out at about 84p per serving.
The best place to buy THE Pre-Workout is probably from the official Myprotein site, although you may also find it being sold by other retailers online.
How To Take It
Each tub contains 30 servings.
The suggested use directions are fairly straightforward. They say that you should mix one scoop with 300-400ml of water and consume the drink around 30 minutes before starting your workout.
Because of the Caffeine content in this supplements, it’s probably best not to consume it within about six hours of when you plan to go to sleep.
We always recommend that you speak to your doctor before thinking about trying any new supplement for the first time, or making any major lifestyle changes.
There is a warning on the label about the high Caffeine content in this supplement. It says that this supplement is not recommended for children or pregnant or breastfeeding women (175mg Caffeine per 14g serving).
There is also a warning on the label saying that you must not exceed the stated recommended daily dose.
It’s always a good idea to carefully check the label of any supplement you’re thinking of taking for the first time – and it’s important you read the entire label, including the warnings, the directions and the ingredients formula.
THE Pre-Workout Reviews
We took a look on Amazon.co.uk to see what some customers were saying about THE Pre-Workout.
At the time of writing, this supplement had an average rating of 3.1 out of 5 stars from a total of 19 reviews.
One happy customer left a five-star review and said that it was a “good pre-workout” and that they had taken it around half an hour before hitting the gym.
One of the more negative reviews came from a customer who rated it one star and said that they did not like the taste of THE Pre-Workout at all.
Pros And Cons
Let’s now weigh up some of the pros and cons when it comes to THE Pre-Workout supplement by Myprotein.
- Reasonable Caffeine dose (175mg per serving)
- Contains Creatine and L-Citrulline
- Made by a reputable brand
- Wide choice of flavours
- Perhaps uses too many ingredients
- Uses the Sweetener Sucralose to enhance flavour
- Not Vegan friendly (may contain Milk)
Is This The Best Supplement For Me?
THE Pre-Workout is a well-formulated pre-workout supplement that contains a lot of the ingredients you’d expect to find in a good supplement, including Caffeine, Creatine and L-Citrulline.
If you’re interested, you can check out our updated guide to some of the best pre-workout supplements on the market at the moment by following the link below.
Anything Else To Consider?
As we mentioned above, it’s best to speak to your doctor before taking a new supplement or making any major lifestyle changes.
Food supplements are not intended to replace a varied, balanced diet and a healthy overall lifestyle.
It’s best not to regard pre-workouts as ‘magic powders’ that will work without any effort on your part.
If you’re looking to get into better shape, you’ll still have to put in the hard work to see the results you’re looking for.
Sticking to a good diet, a sensible workout plan, and getting enough quality sleep are some of the important things you can do to support your health overall.
Conclusion – Our Final Thoughts
That brings us to the end of our Myprotein THE Pre-Workout review.
We’ve walked you through all of the things you need to know about this premium pre-workout supplement, focusing specifically on the ingredients, the doses, the directions and the customer reviews.
All in all, Myprotein is a decent pre-workout supplement made by a reputable brand, which can help to support your health and fitness goals.